Arts, Crafts and Dignity in Care

I'm delighted to have been involved in this project, which brought together care and arts practitioners from Dorset, Somerset, Northern France, Belgium and Holland in a new experiment to discover how the innovative sTimul experience can impact on the provision of creative workshops in care homes, day centres and other settings all over the EU.

The sTimul immersive training session I attended in Belgium last year was designed to give practitioners a real sense of what it might be like to have a disability and to require support with everything from meal-times to leisure activities.

Watch this video that describes the experiences of a group of care-givers at the sTimul experience a few years ago:



In the course of my two days there, I assumed the role of an elderly woman with a learning disability, who had virtually no speech. The experience was very challenging, and provided me with a real insight into what caregivers and support workers have to do.

Above all it left me with the absolute conviction that my approach to musical inclusion is the model that best supports people with a wide range of abilities.