Laura's Travel Perks

You know I've been lusting after this, don't you? It's a highly portable (designed to fit in an airplane's overhead locker space) percussion kit for up to twenty participants.

Only *cough* three hundred quid.



I looked at it longingly when I was on the Remo HealthRhythms course in London, not least of all because I had fallen madly in love with the deep-throated black frame drum you can see pictured there at the back. But I couldn't justify the expenditure when I already own almost all of the other items in the pack.

So, I made up my own.


For anyone who is vaguely interested, the kit is housed in a Stagg cymbal case, which has wheels and an extending handle, as well as a shoulder strap for when you are going upstairs. This is better all round for my back and my shoulders. In said case we have the following:

10 x Egg shakers

Drum Sounds:
1 x Very Large Frame Drum (to give me a lovely bass sound)
3 x Medium-Sized Frame Drums
1 x Green Sound Shape

Accent Sounds:
1 x Two-tone Agogo/Guiro1 x Claves and resonator/easi-grip
2 x Small Tambourines1 x Temple Block (wood)

Ambient Sounds:
1 x Marching Band cymbal1 x Tingshaw bells
I x Mayan bells
1 x Rainstick
1 x Nutshell shaker
1 x Small ocean drum
1 x each of Frog Guiro, Cricket Guiro, Owl-hoot

Facilitator Tools:
1 x double row Indian Dance Bells
Assorted beaters and sticks for Guiros
1 x pair wire brushes (the use of which makes two of the frame drums into "ambient" sounds)
5 x Rainbow Beaters

With this kit I think I could run an hour-long drum circle or HealthRhythms circle for ten people, with sufficient changes in sound to complement each stage of the proceedings.I feel quite pleased with myself, but also a little deflated because at the moment I have no one to use this whole kit with. Have to work on that, I guess.