Caring For A Musician's Bum



Funny, isn't it? How a simple little thing can make an enormous difference to one's working life?

When I am working, it is very often in a client's own home, or in a setting where there is limited space. Seating arrangements can be crowded and awkward, and so to save too much fuss, I have always taken along my own little folding stool -


Now, this has been of great service to me because it is easy to carry and easy to move, but it has NEVER been easy on my bum. In fact, I think it has worsened my neck and shoulder problems.

And so, I made this:


Well, no. I didn't MAKE it, per se. It was an old computer chair that we had no more use for and which was languishing in my garage. With a few quick turns of my trusty Allen/hex key I had the back rest off and it is now a very useful 'stool' - but it has casters, so I can move around very easily; it can turn through 360 degrees, and best yet, it can go up and down. This is invaluable when I am working in a group where people might be using wheel chairs, easy chairs or bucket chairs - anyway, when I have a variety of different-sized people to deal with, this is perfect. I can meet people on their own level. I can scoot from person to person. I can twist and turn much more safely. It facilitates much better eye contact. I love it.

Even my cat likes it, see?

Get yer spanners out and make yourself a muso-chair TODAY.