Intensive Interaction

I have just discovered a communication technique for use with adults with profound learning difficulties. It's called Intensive Interaction. Let me see if I can explain it: For some people with profound and multiple problems, traditional communication (speech) of any kind appears almost impossible.

Such individuals may be eternally restless, with inchoate speech or no speech at all. Intensive Interaction aims to meet people very much within their own comfort zone. In its simplest form it involves mimicry, to allow the individual to become aware that they are being noticed, paid attention to, heard. This may involve physical or verbal mimicry. It may also involve physical contact. 
I found this book.

Laura Cousins, Therapeutic Music, Drum Therapy, REMO HealthRHYTHMS, LifeMusic, Drumming, Learning Difficulties, Individuals and Groups

I've seen films of the technique being used and it appears to be very powerful. Here's one from YouTube:

and this one:

BUT MY POINT IS, that this is exactly what I do ... musically. All this time, I have been looking for ways to try and describe what it is I do - a name for it, if you like. I'm a great one for labels. Probably to do with my relative lack of formal musical education. So now I can say to folks that I offer "musical friendship, using music to recognise people and to communicate with them."